The DBT Centre of Vancouver provides a range of evidence-based psychological services for adults. We offer both individual and group psychotherapy and will individually tailor your treatment to best meet your needs. Our comprehensive DBT program is provided in strict adherence with the DBT model developed by Dr. Marsha Linehan.
Our services start with an intake assessment where you’ll begin by filling out some important forms and questionnaires. You’ll then meet with a clinician for approximately 1.5 – 2 hours to discuss what is bringing you in for treatment and to gather a history of the problems you’ve faced. At the end of the assessment, we’ll discuss our diagnostic impressions and answer any related questions to help in selecting the best treatment for you. We will also write up a report summarizing this information and our findings.
We offer a range of individual therapy services including dialectical behaviour therapy, cognitive-behavioural therapy, and mindfulness and acceptance based treatments. Our individual therapy is designed to address your most pressing needs whether it be problems related to mood, anxiety, suicide or self-harm, drug and alcohol use, eating disordered behaviour, or a variety of other problems. These one-on-one sessions typically occur for 50 minutes per week with the length of the treatment dependent on your individual needs.
Group Skills Training
We also offer ongoing DBT Skills Training Groups. These groups, which are structured much like a class, meet weekly for 2 hours over the course of 26 weeks and are designed to provide clients with concrete strategies for building better lives. Specifically, we teach participants the following sets of skills.
- Mindfulness Skills– to help clients be more aware of their thoughts and emotions, less judgmental of themselves and others, and more alert to the present moment.
- Distress Tolerance Skills – to provide people with a variety of strategies for more effectively managing stressful situations and being more accepting of things they cannot change.
- Emotion Regulation Skills – to assist people in better managing their emotions by providing strategies for increasing emotional awareness, decreasing emotional vulnerabilities, and changing unwanted emotions.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness Skills – to teach clients skills for more effectively asking for what one wants, building more meaningful relationships, and feeling good about oneself when doing so.
We are currently running groups on the following days.
- Tuesdays from 6pm – 8pm
- Wednesdays from 11:30am – 1:30pm
- Thursdays from 5:30pm – 7:30pm
Our clinicians are also available to clients in-between sessions for telephone calls. These calls are designed to provide assistance and help build adaptive coping behaviours in difficult situations. They can be used to strengthen existing skills and help clients better generalize learned skills to the world around them.
Click here for a list of our fees.
To schedule an intake assessment, call 604-569-1156. If you have any questions, please call or email email@example.com.